Pages

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Good Morning Meteor!

This morning at about 6:15 a.m. a brilliant light streaked slowly across the early morning sky from West to East leaving a trail of sparkling debris.

The light attracted the attention of the helicopter traffic reporter on the radio and they interrupted their newscast to tell everyone about what had just happened.

Hundreds of people from as far away as Wyoming, Kansas, and New Mexico called and emailed the radio station that I was listening to to describe what they saw.

I, of course, did not witness it. I was driving south, facing the correct direction and everything, but I didn't see a thing.

Luckily, the local Fox News channel had their helicopter in the air as well, and happened to catch it on video. Click on the title link and then their video link to see the video. It is really quite spectacular with white, green, red, and other colors appearing as the object broke up.

I guess they are still not sure what the object was, but I have heard several people say that it was moving too slowly to be a meteor or comet-type-thing and that it must have been an old satellite or some other space junk burning up in the atmosphere. I thought that they kept track of that pretty closely, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Pookie said...

ooh all "space junk" should be so pretty :o)